Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Digital Era encroaching our nature space?


Hello once again. I have not been updating this blog for a long time and I apologise to those who have been waiting patiently.
I have decided to go back to full time work and there is now much less time to blog. However, I have not stopped bringing the kids to playgrounds around the island and I have really accumulated a lot of pictures of various places. I have uploaded most of them and I am hoping to share them with all of you in the next few weeks.
Meanwhile, let's get back to Pasir Ris Park. The above picture was taken about 6 months ago and this equipment was the newest kid on the block at Pasir Ris then. This was a find right after the newspaper reported that Singaporeans may be seeing electronics being applied in their children's playground.
Well, I was kinda sitting on the fence. It's a fun piece of equipment for the kids. Lots of feedback to their actions and it introduced a competitive component. The lights came on for that spot and you squat, bend , stretch or jump to hit it. Lots of cardiovascular workout and it worked your eye hand coordination and response speed, not forgetting building your upper limb strength and overall flexibility. You take those spots and I'll handle these few and team work is in full swing. But alas, I preferred electronic sounds and artificial lightings to be kept to the arcade.
Well, that was just me.
However, if you have read the above and felt all excited about visiting the park this weekend to lay your hands on this fun toy, I am sorry you'll be disappointed. Since about March this year, I had discovered the disappearance of this equipment from its spot. Tried to find out what happened to it but in vain. Well, it was either just a trial or the players' enthusiasm had shortened its lifespan??!!
Anybody seen any other electronic play ground pieces in our great outdoors?

No comments: