Thursday, August 28, 2008

Pasir Ris Park: more vestibular input anyone?

The playground at Pasir Ris Park is really my new found love. Well, I had been there many times in the last few years but stopped going about a year ago as I found other new interesting play dens. However, I was pleasantly surprised when I visited it again about a month ago. The park (especially the playground) had undergone a new face lift and new features had been added while old ones replaced, repaired and "renewed". I had to say it's the King of Playgrounds for young children now!
You can visit this royalty at http://www.nparks.gov.sg/cms/index.php?option=com_visitorsguide&task=parks&id=26&Itemid=73 for the map of Pasir Ris park. To get to the playground, go along Elias road and follow onto Pasir Ris Road. You will soon see the playground on your right and you may park along the road side for free.

Remember I talked about the wonderful sensation of vestibular the last time? Well, you can really get even more of this sensory input at the following equipments. A good dosage of it enhances children's ability to balance and coordinate both sides of the body. It is even said to be one of the foundation for good visual and auditory processing and hence academic skills.


The new age see-saw.




"I can sit to make this toy move back and forth and then I can stand. I can make it bounce up and down while trying to look at mummy in front. I have to try hard to keep mummy looking clear while bouncing ... I need to work my eyes really hard. Ok, I had enough. One, two, three, jump off!"


"Ho, ho, after so much moving around, I am ready to show off my balancing skills on these. Wow, it's shaky. I like standing on this beam, see, i can balance balance and then, jump off. Show you one more trick, I can walk on tip toes along the beam, arrgh, mummy, hold my hand!"


"Hmm, dun like all these big boys. They are shaking the bridge and making it too hard for me to balance. I shall try again later. When they are not around I can run really fast along the rope, I can do it without my shoes too! I can also climb along the ropes at the side and hang on pretending I am a spider!"


"You know what, this is a fun slide. It feels nice and cold and I can see myself in it. Down I go, I will show you how I can also go down on my tummy!"



" What? Time to go home? Well, mummy and daddy can walk on the pathway. I am going to walk along the big roots of these trees.... balance, balance, balance, jump!"

No comments: