Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Boon Lay playground: cycling

Playground at Boon Lay is really quite big... just the right size for your preschooloers to cycle around and it provides just the right length and gradient of slopes for your 3-4 years old learning how to cycle with those training wheels. A gentle slope is great for learning how to brake, up the challenge of balancing and definitely is an adenaline rush for the kids and a great confidence booster. Don't forget about the hard work going up the slope.



DSCN2062
I like foot reflexology paths... I guess the people who first decided to build them in Singapore parks probably never knew that there could be so many uses for them other than stimulating acu points in the feet!
Cycling on these paths are not only great fun but work out those leg muscles and demands lots of balance, coodination and patience.
Toddlers gets a good workout too when they walk on these "poke rocks" with their shoes on, better their balance! The two tones of the rocks add extra fun as we challenge our little one to stay in just one of the colours as they walk, run, jump and crawl on it. That's teaching early colouring within the boundaries and tracing skills.

DSCN2063

4 comments:

Upperroom said...

If you call yourself Peng, is an occupational therapist and has been working with children for the last 13 years i.e. probably graduated in 95/96...I probably know you.

Peng said...

Hi, you probably do. Checked out your website at the upper-room. Not sure if I know Jamie or kevin... want to refresh my memory? Any comments about the website?:-)Hope you'd find it useful.

Unknown said...

Hi, your blog is really lovely! I'm Ying Zhen, a reporter from the Chinese daily Lianhe Zaobao. Stumbled upon your blog just as I was working on a story about old playgrounds. If possible, can we meet for an interview? Do email me at yingzhen@sph.com.sg or call 6319-1830. Thanks!

Upperroom said...

You are from UQ and occasionally visit CCA's Campus church on Sat afternoon right?

If you are, I'm Cheryl's housemate when she moved out of IH. I remember you, Cheryl & Lilin were buddies. You were pretty passionate about the role of an occupational therapist and shared with me in some details.

I do have some interesting playground ideas, but since I'm against 'plastic' my idea is not suitable for local contact.

I agree that children naturally knows how to play. The slopes along the dam of both lower & upper pierce reservoir are some of the best slides in Singapore, but drains build along the slope prevented children from having fun. There were not there previously.

I grew up in Lower pierce reservoir, there are many natural play areas there. Bring your kids for a visit and explore the area.